St Austell in Cornwall to Clawton in Devon. Fog, rain and hills!


Wednesday 25h February

Not much to report on the day really. It was spent trying to get into Devon, successfully. The cycle from St Austell to near Clawton in Devon was tough with poor weather and occasional low cloud fog. Mind you the day started well with a new bird for the year list. As I cycled north along a B road towards Bodmin there was a clearish stream cascading down the hill. As I came to a clear part where one could see the rocks a dipper was on one particularly mossy rock. Brilliant! Bird number 152.
Or is it?
That Kumlein's gull I saw way back in Littlehampton. It's a sub-species of Iceland gull isn't it? Of course it is so can I count it on the year list as an iceland? I haven't yet and if I can that would be the bogey bird from 2010 out of the way.
In 2010 I remember waiting at Bartley Reservoir on the final evening of the year with friends expecting the Iceland gull that had put in an appearance there for the previous week to do so. It didn't!
Anyway, back to the present.
A 47 mile cycle ride from St Austell to Launceston and on to Clawton in Devon; birds seen included raven, snipe and buzzard with the first winter thrushes, mostly redwings, that I'd seen in days. The weather alternated but was always cloudy. Sometimes there was thick fog, sometimes rain. Still managed it all with little discomfort and arrived at the B and B in good shape.
Now bathed, fed and watered, time to rest.
Tomorrow it's off to two RSPB reserves; Ibsley Marsh and Chapel Wood. I'm still behind on my itinerary but it's mine! I have set a challenging pace and haven't disappointed myself so far.

Now please have a look at my facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/bikingbirder2015

Also if you could please make a small donation to any of the charities that I am supporting then please click on the links to the right. I know I put this onto the end of every blog posting but I really get a boost from every donation. The RSPB, The WWT, Asthma UK and Chaskawasi-Manu. I would be so grateful if you could make a donation however small. Thanks.

Comments

  1. It's interesting that another RSPB reseserve called Ibsley Marsh that you mention called Ibsley Marsh that's not mentioned at all in the RSPB reserve list on the RSPB reserve website, just like quite a few that you've visited and ive also mentioned on the RSPB Community Forum.
    Regards Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Ian. It's called Isley Marsh not Ibsley. North Devon between Bideford and Barnstaple along the Tarka Trail cycle route.
    Have you received the spreadsheet of reserves that I have? If not email me at bikingbirder2010@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you.
    All the best,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I've received It Garry.
    Regards,
    Ian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little near death scenario to keep me thinking.

Two Days, 3 RSPB reserves, 3 new year list birds and 3 fabulous people encounters.