Two dogs, 3 special birds and 5 RSPB reserves. Wednesday February 11th


Wednesday 11th February
The day started with a scoot along the wonderful new cycle path around from Topsham to Dart's Farm in the dark. On arriving at the hide where I was hoping to quickly see the reported penduline tits, it was a tad disappointing to see two dogs running through the small reed bed! Six hours later the penduline tits were there on bullrushes; a very special bird to add to the year list.
During the long wait I had seen two chiff chaffs that repeatedly went around and around the reedbed, two stonechats, around 800 brent geese, two little egrets, three black-tailed godwits, 36 curlew, three grey herons, a meadow pipit and a fly over black swan!
So at 1.40pm I made my way to Goosemoor and Bowling Green RSPB reserves, meeting the delightful Judith at the latter in the brand new hide, the RSPB staff member there.
Then it was off through Topsham and onto the cycle path to Matford Marsh RSPB reserve.
Next to Exminster Marshes RSPB reserve, leaving the cycle path here to go back to the main road to Dawlish to view Powderham Marshes RSPB reserve. Back to the cycle path via the avenue of Holm Oaks at Powderham itself, I forgot that an easy to get snow bunting was here and instead arrived at Dawlish Warren and found a superb B and B; Sanday's. I did photograph a rather lovely little egret though before getting there.
Year list still stands at 139. Next it's a search and possibly a long wait for the Bonaparte's gull at Dawlish Warren. It would constitute a bird I only saw one of in 2010l in Cardiff Bay. That bird took me two days before I was satisfied with the views I had.

Now please have a look at the photographs of today on my facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/bikingbirder2015

Also if you could please make a small donation to any of the charities that I am supporting then please click on the links to the right. Thanks.

All the very best everyone. Love to you all xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

St Austell in Cornwall to Clawton in Devon. Fog, rain and hills!

A little near death scenario to keep me thinking.

Two Days, 3 RSPB reserves, 3 new year list birds and 3 fabulous people encounters.